Sunday, March 30, 2008



More Great Greens

I've been a creature of habit when it comes to the morning green smoothie. Day in and day out, I plunge huge amounts of little spinach leaves into different fruit and banana combinations and purée away. While I eat a wide variety of other greens at other meals, I've been really in a rut mornings. I decided to make a concerted effort to change that.


Here's a wonderful glass filled with super satisfying tastes and loaded with nutrients and guess what? It's really green. . .chock full of the chard pictured above and you have this pretty pink potable. Frozen banana, a cup of frozen blackberries, filtered water and Swiss chard. Amazing, isn't it?

For those turned off by green drinks, unless it's brews on March 17th, using lots of deep red berries with the greens provides a lovely rosy red drink while still delivering the many benefits of fresh greens.

On the other hand, sometimes it's fun to make a true green cocktail for an afternoon pick me up. Here's a mock Margarita. Cucumber, apple and romaine run through the juicer not the blender!

Greens are plentiful, flavorful, nutrient-dense, affordable and easy to prepare.

No comments: