Thursday, December 25, 2008

How Green is My Smoothie?


Actually, a very nutrient dense green smoothie rolled out of the blender a rich, deep, royal shade of purple. Amazing the change that took place when nine frozen blackberries were added to a vibrant green mixture in my blender.


It's Christmas morning, to celebrate the occasion I chose to make a thick, luscious smoothie for breakfast. Sweet with extra fruit, nutritious with dark, dinosaur kale leaves, softened with a big handful of young spinach leaves.


The Purple Passion
One large navel orange, peeled
One juice orange (Valencia) peeled
One banana
5-6 dark kale leaves (stems removed)
Big handful young spinach
One frozen banana
Frozen berries to taste (I used 9 large blackberries).


Blend the soft, juicy ingredients first, then blend in the greens. Finish with the frozen fruit. The oranges I used provided enough juice to make a great smoothie. Add a bit of water if needed.
Note: I don't have a very high-powered blender. Adding the ingredients in layers allows my Kitchen Aid blender to do an admirable job.


No comments: