Monday, April 13, 2009



Radishes and Greens



I chose lovely large red radishes and crisp green leaf lettuce, organic and locally grown, as the main elements for my lunch when I shopped at Whole Foods on Saturday morning.

I remembered Patricia Wells telling about students using fresh radishes as the main component in an open faced sandwich in her book, Vegetable Harvest. The idea really appealed to me.


My take on the radish sandwich was a bit of a leap in improvisation from the description in the book, but it's the concept that counts, right?

The combination of sliced radishes layered over a schmear of goat cheese, sprinkled with sea salt and lemon zest and then topped with fresh, mixed sprouts was a novel topping to a crusty baguette. Dark, dense, moist slices of rye or pumpernickel would have been more in keeping with the printed recipe.

I added a few radish greens and a couple of radishes cut into match sticks to some of the green leaf lettuce, and dressed the salad with a dash of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and a splash of apple cider vinegar.

It was a great lunch revolving around 4 large radishes and 4 leaves of lettuce!

No comments: