Saturday, May 16, 2009

Arugula and Corn Salad


A trip to the produce market yielded two fresh ears of corn, red leaf lettuce and baby arugula. In a flash they became lunch.

I've become very fond of sautéed corn kernels in coconut oil with a touch of thyme and a bit of sea salt. I love the kernels raw mixed with black beans, too. But I've had this compelling urge for the warm, thyme kissed kernels with just a faint hint of coconut from the organic oil.

I knew I wanted a big green salad for lunch. The bag filled with greens I brought home contained kale, red leaf lettuce, spinach on the stem, arugula and hearts of romaine along with the indulgent two ears of corn. I chose the red leaf lettuce and arugula for lunch. I saved the big outer leaves of the red leaf for juicing and used the crunchy heart for the salad along with a generous couple of hands full of arugula. Half a thinly sliced Vidalia onion and the sautéed corn completed the salad. I gave the bowl a generous sprinkle of sea vegetables, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a spritz of sherry vinegar.

The warm, sweet corn played nicely against the peppery arugula and the crisp, buttery red leaf lettuce tempered it well. It turned out to be a great combination. Another quick, improvised meal with a few fresh ingredients. A great way to eat more raw dark leafy greens.

No comments: