Saturday, September 15, 2007

Peachy Keen

Okay, that's a term that dates me and many of you have probably never heard anyone say, "peachy keen". But that was the first thing that came to mind when I took the first sip of this morning's smoothie. Everyday is both a new experience and a new experiment as I choose what to toss in the blender for breakfast.

I'm so impressed with the many benefits of drinking fresh coconut water despite the challenge of opening a young coconut. Read about my first efforts here. But then how boring would life be without a few little challenges? If opening a coconut is the extent of the trouble I encounter in life, I'm certainly not going to complain.

Today, with a base of coconut water, I added a handful of frozen mango chunks, a frozen banana, a cut up fresh peach and a handful of goji berries,then gave the old blender a whirl. It took a few seconds with the blender on low to get things going, but as the frozen fruit pieces started breaking down in the coconut water, I slowly increased the speed until a nice whirlpool developed and voila! A peachy keen glass of vibrant nutrition that tastes like an elixir for the gods...or as I imagine an elixir for the gods should taste.

Making a nutritious smoothie is a fun exercise in using what's on hand and a little imagination. Each day I use a different mix of fruit, greens and superfoods to assure a balance for the body and an interesting journey for the taste buds.

Till next time . . . to eat well; eat raw.






No comments: