Thursday, October 11, 2007

Luncheon Smoothie

I spend a lot of time wandering around the 150+ raw food blogs out there. At one point, I jotted down an interesting green smoothie combo and today I happened to have all the necessary ingredients to give it a whirl. I wish I had made a note of where I found this suggestion to give it proper attribution.



My fellow bloggers, Heidi and Justin, at Raw Food Right Now never post someone else's recipes, even with attribution - now I see why. But on the other hand, I'm not copying someone's whole oeuvre, just one little list of ingredients to make a pleasantly mild, palatable green smoothie.

This had no name but I like thinking of it as :

Pale Kale Ale
1 cup green grapes (I used red - see specks)

1 orange, peeled and sectioned

1 ripe pear

1 banana (frozen or fresh)

1 cup kale

1/2 cup water

I added a couple of ice cubes to the glass as I drank it. The taste improves with a bit of chilling.

If you don't have a heavy duty VitaMix, blend the ingredients in a regular blender adding a few at a time, rather than tossing everything in at once and expecting the poor machine to be something it isn't. As you can see, my smoothie isn't perfectly smooth (no VitaMix), there are a few flecks from the grape skin, this doesn't affect the taste and adds a nice little flourish of color.


I started with the grapes and orange and when they were liquified, added the pear and water, then the kale and then finally a frozen banana, broken into pieces. I also found it just a tad bitter, so I blended in a couple of tablespoons of raisins. Two or three dates would work well, too. Just a little bit of natural sweetness to round out the flavors.

I'm getting far more adventurous with savory smoothies — adding a lot of greens to the blender is an adventure! For a host of valuable information on the raw food lifestyle along with a plentiful supply of easy to make smoothies and other recipes, check out this Living and Raw Foods site.


Till next time . . . to eat well; eat raw.

1 comment:

Keely said...

I might give that a whirl, myself. However, Bob and I can not tolerate kale in our smoothies, so we may substitute spinach or arugula. I like the red flecks, too!